My First Chemo “Infusion”

Friday, April 11, 2014

My first chemo “infusion” as they say sucked. There is not a nice word for it. The AC regimen I will be on through May is rough. My thoughts are this: never ever ever have them place your port on the same day as your first chemo treatment. Why? Even though they only gave me a “whiff” of whatever sedative it was to relax me enough to stick that thing in me, it made me sick. Apparently, I’m a lightweight. I had not yet recovered from that when we needed to go to the chemo appointment. I am so grateful that my mom and my sister, Janet, drove me everywhere that day because I would not have been able to drive safely.

My appointment for the port implementation was at 6:30 in the morning. Janet picked me up and took me to the appointment. After filling out the usual paperwork (they should seriously consider networking so that I don’t need to fill those out every time I see someone new?), the nurse helped me prep and settled before the mini-surgery took place. The radiologist introduced himself to me and asked me what kind of music I wanted…The Beatles, of course. I can’t ever think of anything else.

The mini-surgery didn’t take very long. I was back in the prep room with Janet within an hour, I believe. We had to hang out for an hour after the surgery to make sure I didn’t have an adverse reaction to anything. Scott and my Mom came to see how things were going at some point during this appointment. I started to feel nauseous as the nurse was giving me instructions for after care. I asked for something to throw up into and the nurse gave me a barf bag and soon after some anti-nausea medicine. She gave me a couple more barf bags for the road and we went home to rest until my chemo appointment at 1:30.

Like most people, I am very grouchy when I don’t feel well. I hadn’t recovered from the port implant when I was time to go to the hospital for the chemo appointment. I was annoyed that they weren’t ready for me when I arrived. We had to wait a full hour before I was able to get some attention. Apparently, they have to do a blood draw before they can prep the infusions. I also have to have a steroid and anti-nausea medicine before we can start the fist infusion – A – the red ugly one. The red one took about 10 to 15 minutes and the other one was set for 45 minutes. Finally, I received some Neulasta to help keep my white blood cell count up. The nurse was very patient with me. I was incredibly grouchy.

The lady in the chair next to me was named Jill. She was a really nice lady. She bought me a pink ribbon pin. She chatted with Janet and my mom most of the time I was there.

I remember getting into Janet’s car and Janet dropping my mom off at her car. I don’t remember arriving at home, or much of anything else until Tuesday morning when I got up and got ready for work. I have flashes of memory. I remember Janet taking my car to get the oil changed and to pick up my other wig. I remember going to the eye doctor on Saturday…kind of. I remember trying to get up Monday morning to go to work and I fell asleep in the closet. Scott woke me up and told me to go back to bed. I sent my boss a text to let him know that I wasn’t going to make it. I should go back and read what I wrote. Hopefully it made sense.

On the 18th, I went back to the Cancer Center for a mid-level appointment which means I didn’t meet with the doctor but with someone just below that. Her name is Shirley. At this appointment, they basically draw blood and take your vitals. I had lost 5 lbs. in six days and my immune system was very low. A cold right now could be a serious problem.

Today is Day 12 from my first chemo treatment. My chemo friend’s hair fell out on Sunday, her Day 12. When I woke up this morning, I gave my hair a little tug…still there. 🙂 I’m hoping to last until Saturday, Day 15. Wish me luck.

This entry was posted in Breast Cancer, Cancer and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to My First Chemo “Infusion”

  1. Sorry to hear your journey has been tough so far. Good luck with keeping your hair on and I’d say shave it if it starts falling so you don’t have to deal with the emotions attached to it. It is quite liberating. Big hugs to you. J x

  2. mamawinkler says:

    What an experience! I’m so sorry it was so awful. I’m thinking of you and hoping that things improve as you continue your treatments.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s